Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mitchell Street, it’s Historic!

Santa Maria

I had been planning on riding the bus down to Mitchell street for ages. I cannot believe how long and how much planning it took for me to get up off my lazy ass and do it. Then I got off the bus about four stops too late. However, that allowed me to stumble upon the virgin mary here. So, all’s well that ends well.

Modjeska 2

Somehow this is less depressing than the Grand Theater downtown. Not by much mind you, but a little bit less. I wonder if it is like the Oriental on the inside? Maybe, it looks a little newer and less adorned. One thing is for sure, it is not open.

Modjeska 1

In the interest of inconspicuousness, I only brought my pancake lens down here. Well, that’s half true, I also wanted to be a super cool street photographer. Check me out with my 50mm (equivalent) walking the streets being all cool. To be honest, I’m really drawn to the idea of scaling back and miniaturizing my equipment. Then I remember how awesome the pictures turn out when you are using huge lenses.

Plaza el Paisano

I have no idea what this sign says.

Kunzelmann

Mitchell Street is surprisingly vibrant. I know it’s a little intimidating, but there are tons of people out enjoying the shopping. It is a little like Wisconsin Avenue, except that most people are here to be here, instead of here to catch a bus and go.

Dulceria

On of the criticisms of the little pancake is that it is a little too distorted for architectural photography.  I don’t disagree, it makes you really pay attention to framing. Otherwise things get real wonky real fast.

54

Thar goes da bus. Stupid useful bus.

jon

No comments: