Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Enjoying Our River

Word

The Milwaukee River is an interesting place. One part gem, one part dumping ground, and a little whatever thrown into the mix. I’ve begun spending more time along the river. It is an attempt to reconnect to a part of the city that most people have forgotten or discounted. In fact, for the first time in a year I volunteered the day of this writing, two hours and four heavy bags of trash later, I feel pretty good about the river.

Bolt

There are all these strange reminders of what the river used to be. Some of them are identifiable as train remnants, or someone’s park planning of the past. Others, however, are just random bolts and concrete.

Oh-hai

I also started a greater appreciation for the graffiti. Most graffiti in Milwaukee is just some jackass, gang, or vandal throwing up their tag. On the concrete walls along the river the kids at least try to be a little artistic. Something I don’t mind. But, who knows why this guy decided that Squirtle was going to be his inspiration.

Graffiti

Maybe I’m drawn to the graffiti because it is so hard to find color in the mud season betwixt winter and spring.

First of Spring, They Never Leave

I’d say it was the first robin of spring, but I don’t think they even bother to migrate anymore.

jon

No comments: