Monday, April 4, 2011

The Pretty City

On the Waterfront

 

I really enjoy shots like this one. Let us recount the ways. One, the color interpretation of my Olympus camera is excellent here. There is what is called an “oly” feel, and this is it. A slightly metallic interpretation. If I switched systems, I would miss you most of all jpeg engine. Two, I think I actually got the framing right, which is strange. Probably because I actually thought about how I wanted to go to this spot, to take this picture, without my camera. Indeed, I made a special trip just to walk here. Third, I like my city. Sometimes. What I like, all the ways we try. We are not Cleveland or Buffalo or Detroit. Though we did not rise to the same economic and population heights as those cities, we have much more effectively fought the decline. We have reinvested in the river, in the lake, and in bike paths. Don’t forget that. Don’t forget that we could be a shallow shell of a city, and that belief in public discourse and works is what holds a city together. Wisconsin’s motto used to be “Forward”, I say we get back to that thinking.

jon

No comments: