Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sutro Baths

_C286726

Built in 1896 Sutro Baths were once the largest indoor swimming pool establishment. 

 

 _C286703

The monstrous concrete, steel, and wood structure was built by the mayor of San Francisco Adolph Sutro.  Who also owned the neighboring cliff houses at the time.

_C286683

We had a blast hiking up and down the hills which surrounded it.  A great little surprise after our long walk.  Kat took a break while I hunted flowers.

 _C286677

There was one natural bright white lily, but I couldn't get to it.   Well, I could have, but only if I tramped all over a bunch of other plants.  And I would have felt bad about that.  Instead I only have a memory of the little bugger.

_C286678

The baths weren't destroyed by an earthquake.  Instead, years of being unprofitable, closing, then become neglected eventually led to it burning down.  I doubt anyone minded by that point.  It's currently run by the National Park Service.

_C286708

According to Wikipedia, a couple people have been swept away by large waves on the rocks.  We risked it anyway.

 _C286674

And according to this sign.

P.S.  Due to school I'll be shifting to a less often posting.  Maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday.  I'm not quite sure yet. 

No comments: