Monday, March 5, 2012

Jack Harter Helicopter - The highlights part one

IMG_1616

First off, you get pretty far up there in that crazy flying contraption. We were still on our way up when I spotted this cruise ship at the terminal. Just think how giant that thing is, and how this is about the only way to get a picture of it without being overwhelmed by the scale of the thing.

IMG_1633-1

Katherine asked the best way to fly and take pictures, and the answer was "open door". Yes, an open door helicopter ride. I still can't believe Kat agreed to do this. I was so excited. Kat's nerves were growing and growing, I thought she'd jump straight out of the thing right up to take off. Then the captain very kindly explained just how hard it would be to come out of the blasted thing, then she finally relaxed.

IMG_1635-1

At no point did the trip disappoint, and I really have to advocate for open door. You really get the feel that you are flying, that this is a totally unnatural and exhilarating experience. From what I understand, the larger closed door helicopter tours feel more like riding in an old Cadillac. Comfortable, but distant from the feel.

IMG_1645

Do not hang out the door. I learned this, as I lost track of the fact the helicopter moves over 50MPH, and hanging out the door will let you know about it.

IMG_1648-1

This was pretty late in our trip, and it amazed us how much of the island we had already seen from the ground. It was like getting a recap by air of everything we had done. Which is fun, but I would suggest going first, and taking notes on all the cool places you can see later.

jon













No comments: