Sunday, October 30, 2011

Uptown

Uptown

While in line at Walgreens last night, there was a fairly old couple right in front of me. Normally I would say nice old couple, but I have no idea how nice they were. They could have been a the biggest asshole old couple for all I know. Sorry, digression. Anyway, as I was standing in line I had a sudden moment. Imagine how strange this all looks. I mean, not just only since they were my age, just generally how strange. I pulled my self out of the moment, looked around, and though weird. Just really weird. The best I could come up with in that 45 seconds before I had to pay for my card, is that our reality is so set by our childhood. When we are young everything is 'normal'. There is no offsetting reality to assess now against. So we just go along. When we get old, not only are we not "with it", but we have so much 'it' to compare now to. Then I started thinking about Abe Simpson, onions, and really lost my train of thought. The checkout lady was nice. But imagine, soon what's normal will be a world without pay phones. And it will be normal. But now, I get to live in a world where they are a strange anachronism hearkening to a time past. A time no simpler than now, but a time separate, apart. A time which I will never get to live in again. So damn strange.

jon

No comments: