Friday, March 25, 2011

All in a day's work

Library
I think I have been in public library exactly once in my life. I have some vague memories of marble and an imposing lobby. I don't really remember going downtown much as a child. Maybe to the museum's once in a while. I guess we mostly participated in sports and hung around the lakefront parks.

Library Lamp Post

As much as I putz around the downtown, it still feels like I haven't done everything. I mean, here is a highlight of that sloth, not going into the library, ever. And why not? I am rarely, but not never board. They give you free books there, come to think of it, I don't even have a library card.



Library Detail

When I was a dockhand, I used to get up every morning go to the bakery and buy a bacon, egg, and cheese on a croisant. If I wasn't reading a book, I'd by the New York Times. At one point, I told someone about my book purchasing habit, and they wondered what was wrong with me. Why didn't I just get a library card. I finally followed there advice two years later. Forgot to return a book, and haven't had one since.



Corner Store

Dirty snow and dirty buildings. Sort of what Wisconsin ave feels like after the campus. It is a totally different world there.



Sheriden

Such a great building. There's one of a similar vintage and feel on Capital Drive in Shorewood. I've always wanted to live in a classic brick piece of art like this, until that fateful day Matt and I toured that Shorewood beauty. Simply put, it smelled like cat piss. Cat piss everywhere. Ick. In a similar vein, the McDonald's adjacent to this apartment had a bathroom that smelled horrid. I am absolutely convinced someone shat in the garbage. It was horrific.

Deco

I almost made it to the caffe. Had to settle for Envoy, the bar right next door. I was very impressed with the Ambassador and the mission of the owner. However, I still don't think I would advise anyone on staying there. Maybe next year?



Pabst
Pabst Mansion. Towering over Wisconsin Ave.

Haunted Eyes

Statues of soldiers are always haunting. It is so sad to think of men and boys marching to their deaths no matter the situation. Later, with time and history the memory of the pain can fade, and we celabrate the glory. But, only if we win, and only if it was righteous (or properly sold as righteous) , otherwise the deaths will fade into sadness like a long stare.

Washington

I find this to be such a wonderful way to connect the great men of our country to our children. Show us how we can be connected. Show us how we can look up, but through learning please. Don't just recite the history's crib notes.

For the Harvest
Naked women and the harvest will always go together.

Miller Time

Miller Time, bay-be.

The Time

I had walked by this clock dozens if not hundreds of times. This was the first time I took a picture. Shows you, life is always full of little mystery's and surprises.

Enjoy,

Jon

No comments: